Skip to main content

My Last Tip(ple)

Contributor and friend of D&C, Nick recounts the worries and glories of searching for beer in a new country. When Nick is not recovering from bouts of drunken debauchery, he whiles away the hours as a kick-ass User Experience Designer in London.

You'll have to excuse the short break between this and the previous post of mine about beer. I've been testing my Spanish while hanging out on the beach in Spain. "Dos cerveza por favor” will get you two beers (why settle for just one) delivered to your table. I’ve also been climbing mountains in the South of France, which is where I discovered perfection in a bottle – a 9% Leffe! There is a god! There could be many but my recent discovery of this elixir means there should be at least one. There are probably two because surely another one needs to exist in order to explain the perfection that is Charlize Theron (thank you Lord). I’m not prone to stalking beers on the web but I perhaps should have been as the bottle I came across on the bottom shelf in a small supermarket, attached to a petrol station, in an out of the way town somewhere in the Pyrenees Oriental region in the South of France, has “The Taste of 2007” (in French) on a sticker on it. That was like last year man! I’ve gone at least 8 months without it being a part of my life.

Anyway...

I've drunk a lot of beer.

I'm not inclined to drink lots of beer for the sake of drinking lots beer and have even turned down free beer because what was offered would make me go "hmmm." But I do like drinking beer. Some of you can be witness to that and can probably remind me of a few nights I've forgotten about. Beer, to me, can be just as varied in flavour as wine and so I think shouldn't be written off by those who lump it into the "beer is horrible" category.

So here are the beers I think you should all give a go. Some might not tickle your fancy but I reckon at least one of them will make you go "Ooooo, that's not half bad."

Leffe Blonde or Leffe Brune
These beers is the bomb. I've found the Blonde on tap in many places in England and, surprisingly, in Stockholm (where I managed to acquire two good quality Leffe glasses by fluttering my eyelashes nicely at the ladies behind the bars). It has a fairly sweet taste with a hint of banana coming through. Believe it or not the Blond packs more of a wallop than the Brune. For a mass-produced beer it kicks some serious arse over any lager. It will also seriously kick your arse if you drink a lot of it.

Old Peculiar
This is my favourite English beer of all so far. I've only found it in a few places and tend to drink the bar dry when I do find it. Only yesterday did I find it on sale in the small Sainsbury Local near where I work. They have now run out of it.

Emmerson's 1812 India Pale Ale
You can't go wrong with this IPA, although you can't buy it in the UK (as far as I'm aware). Bugger. But I have fond memories of grabbing a bottle of this, drinking it back in the hot sun and gale force Wellington winds.

La Trappe Tripel
This one I discovered while floating on cloud 9 in Golem, Amsterdam. It packs a wolloping huge 8% into the bottle so be careful when you stand up to go the loo after your 3rd or 4th.

Old Speckled Hen
I don't know what it is about the English but they like to get across that their stuff is a bit on the vintage side. But still, this is a very tasty bitter despite being "old.” I’m not a big bitter fan, with the only thing worse being larger, but this would be a good introduction for anybody into the realm of warm English beer.

Lastly, Mr Love made a request that I share with you my favourite drinking song. I don't sing. My singing voice was once described as being like that of a young boy going through puberty. Since then I resist all urge to let the muse take over. That said, get me drunk and shove a microphone in my face and I’ve been told I'll holler like I was born to do it... apparently. I claim ignorance of such activities.

Get drinking everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okkervil River, Wellington, New Zealand :: Live Music Review

There are energetic drummers, and then there is Travis Nelson. Truly, he is 'Animal.' Okkervil River albums have so much personality, the songs themselves become characters: players, people in the guise of animals or gods (and who can tell the difference sometimes?). And like watching a melodrama, we are witness to emotions that heave and plummet with frightening force. The songs can be drunken youth: the rotund boots on their feet knocking wildly on every surface. Or they can be villainous and smart, full of smiles and wishing-you-well up to the second they thrust the dagger into your belly. Pitched, lust-crazed, calculated: that is one half of an Okkervil album. The other emotion is equally intense in its thick, slow agony: the eternity it takes to remove the knife, knowing you have it all to do over. And so it goes: soaring, drunk, angry, knife, stab, agony, pull-it-out-and-let's-do-it-again. At the San Fransisco Bathhouse in Wellington, New Zealand, on a crisp early a

Daft Punk :: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Somehow winter still has her claws in the Pacific Northwest. It's almost May, and we're forecast snow this coming weekend. Snow! (I'll spare you my usual tirade about what physically impossible acts may be performed on this particular part of the country, my own little corner of hell.) In any event, we were teased by 80 degrees over the past weekend, only to be thrust back into the 50s and below (with rain!) immediately after. Needless to say, it has not been happy times. I am on day three of a nonstop Neko Case marathon, and, while it is indeed comforting, Neko tends to be a little, dare we say, dark ? Sometimes you just need to take pause and make your own sunshine, or perhaps be steered to some on YouTube , as is certainly the case here. (Even though I firmly believe that YouTube is leading to the complete downfall of Western Civilization, and exposing the ugly underbelly of the American experience, I can sometimes forgive it. Times like this.) Back story? Dunno. Two fre

White Rabbits :: It's Frightening

Band :: White Rabbits Album :: It's Frightening Song :: They Done Wrong / We Done Wrong Sounds Like: The Midwest strikes back. RIYL: Spoon, The Walkmen, Tapes 'n Tapes A Few Words: White Rabbits (the band) is living in NYC, it's true. However, they are, by all accounts, from the Midwest. This is only a point worth mentioning because I am also from the Midwest, so we have a lot in common that way. Which is to say we have an inherent understanding of vast distances, wind, and non-existent public transport (unless you count Chicago). White Rabbits could also be that band you know you've heard of, but can't remember. For all their PR efforts it's amazing how easily they continue to slip under the proverbial radar (not sure if "radar" is an acronym when used in a cliche, but I'm guessing not). For example, they've been on NPR's "World Cafe" and on Letterman. Furthermore, they played Glastonbury in 2007 PLUS their new album, It'