Skip to main content

Day 2 :: ka mate koe i te kai hikareti (your smoking can harm others) and other lies


Flying into Auckland, I witness the most stunning sunrise that I have ever seen. The ocean is the blackest of blacks, rising to meet the deep orange of the sun, and then fading into the blue of the night sky. A phrase that I've heard before, "indigo hour" flashes through my brain, and I can only stare in amazement, captivated by it's accuracy.

My departure from Honolulu began in a rush as,in typical Duck & Cover fashion, a great deal has been left to the last minute. "Oh surely there will just be heaps of time today" I thought to myself friday morning, as I left laundry, shopping, and packing to the last possible moment. I imagined myself sitting on my packed bags, a ball of anticipation, staring at the moments slinking by on the clock, all the while waiting for the moment that I would leave for the airport. Of course, as anyone who tends toward procrastination can attest to, this was not the case at all. Long story short, there were things. Things that needed to be done, things that required immediate attention, and none of these things had any correlation to laundry, packing, or the twiddling of thumbs. Then, of course, with blatant violation of the afore mentioned pinkie swear, I bought a pack of Camel cigarettes, and smoked my first cigarette in months outside of my office, all the while thinking "I am SO running behind schedule." (I also had the thought that I was a little sick to my stomach, followed by the thought that I should have another immediately. "If I leave for home in ten minutes, I will totally have time, if I budget 2 hours for laundry, and etc.")

After some rushing, I managed to throw things together fairly well (though truth be told, I do question some of the things that I chose to pack) and make it to the airport in time to wander the Duty Free store in a vicodin haze, asking the attendant to open the Hermes kiosk for me so that I could peruse cologne and overpriced luxury goods. After meandering out sans purchase, I perused the scene to steal a moment with my new best friend, the cigarette. No smoking signs were posted prevalently over every free inch of the airport, with not even so much a smoking lounge to be found. "This can't go down well with the Japanese", I think to myself. Cigarette nixed, I decide to settle for the next best thing: a drink or four, just to take the edge off the flight. Again, nothing to be found. I am baffled and a little irritated, when I see a vendor selling icecream, and think bitterly to myself that this is SOOO American. God forbid that you have a drink or a smoke, but we'll encourage you to become as fat as possible.

Stumbling to the airport bookstore, I, amazingly, run into a friend, of whom I've been thinking lately, and we are on the same flight! We settle in for a long chat about missed flights, the nonexistence of coincidence, and global sustainability, with an emphasis on it's applicabilty to the Hawaiian Islands.

Fast forward many hours (and past the feature length films "A Night at the Museum" and "Stranger Than Fiction"), and just past the afore menitoned amazing sunrise to breakfast. Not much to mention aside from the fact that if someone on an airplane offers you "pancakes or 'cheesey' omelet'" always, always opt for the pancakes. They may not be brilliant, but they are most definitely not a tubular eggy structure assembled many hours and many miles ago. In short, it is neither the omelet of your imagination, nor your youth. Also, unlike dinner, the Air New Zealand staff will not ply you with a bottomless glass of wine, as your passing out is no longer in their interests. Now is the time to be awake; there is adventure to be had! (Though I only declined the champagne because no one else had asked that the bottle be opened...)

We arrive in Auckland, and my friend Avril and I browse the duty free and pass through currency exchange. We part at immigration, she heading to the New Zealand passport holders line (because she is) and I head for the international line. We promise to meet at baggage claim, but never meet again. I talk to an adorable hipster boy, attempting to declare my almonds; he tells me to tell the people in the "brown shirts", which I do, and they are, at best, bemused.

I pass through customs easily and quickly, looking from side to side for James. Behind me, I hear a voice say "Oh, I don't think he's coming...." There's James, and the adventure begins.

Pinky swears broken, we share several cigarettes outside the car; catching up foregone in favour of planning our trip into Auckland. Where do we go, how do we begin? What does it matter? We have all the time in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okkervil River, Wellington, New Zealand :: Live Music Review

There are energetic drummers, and then there is Travis Nelson. Truly, he is 'Animal.' Okkervil River albums have so much personality, the songs themselves become characters: players, people in the guise of animals or gods (and who can tell the difference sometimes?). And like watching a melodrama, we are witness to emotions that heave and plummet with frightening force. The songs can be drunken youth: the rotund boots on their feet knocking wildly on every surface. Or they can be villainous and smart, full of smiles and wishing-you-well up to the second they thrust the dagger into your belly. Pitched, lust-crazed, calculated: that is one half of an Okkervil album. The other emotion is equally intense in its thick, slow agony: the eternity it takes to remove the knife, knowing you have it all to do over. And so it goes: soaring, drunk, angry, knife, stab, agony, pull-it-out-and-let's-do-it-again. At the San Fransisco Bathhouse in Wellington, New Zealand, on a crisp early a

Daft Punk :: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Somehow winter still has her claws in the Pacific Northwest. It's almost May, and we're forecast snow this coming weekend. Snow! (I'll spare you my usual tirade about what physically impossible acts may be performed on this particular part of the country, my own little corner of hell.) In any event, we were teased by 80 degrees over the past weekend, only to be thrust back into the 50s and below (with rain!) immediately after. Needless to say, it has not been happy times. I am on day three of a nonstop Neko Case marathon, and, while it is indeed comforting, Neko tends to be a little, dare we say, dark ? Sometimes you just need to take pause and make your own sunshine, or perhaps be steered to some on YouTube , as is certainly the case here. (Even though I firmly believe that YouTube is leading to the complete downfall of Western Civilization, and exposing the ugly underbelly of the American experience, I can sometimes forgive it. Times like this.) Back story? Dunno. Two fre

White Rabbits :: It's Frightening

Band :: White Rabbits Album :: It's Frightening Song :: They Done Wrong / We Done Wrong Sounds Like: The Midwest strikes back. RIYL: Spoon, The Walkmen, Tapes 'n Tapes A Few Words: White Rabbits (the band) is living in NYC, it's true. However, they are, by all accounts, from the Midwest. This is only a point worth mentioning because I am also from the Midwest, so we have a lot in common that way. Which is to say we have an inherent understanding of vast distances, wind, and non-existent public transport (unless you count Chicago). White Rabbits could also be that band you know you've heard of, but can't remember. For all their PR efforts it's amazing how easily they continue to slip under the proverbial radar (not sure if "radar" is an acronym when used in a cliche, but I'm guessing not). For example, they've been on NPR's "World Cafe" and on Letterman. Furthermore, they played Glastonbury in 2007 PLUS their new album, It'