Skip to main content

The Coffee World Cup


Nicaragua v Mexico



Jamie decides to taste test two Fair Trade Organic coffees: one from Nicaragua, one from Mexico. And remember, buying Fair Trade coffee makes you a
very good person.



Control: both grinds are brewed in a stainless steel French press (however epicurean, in my opinion it is the only way to make decent coffee). The first is then poured into a stainless steel Thermos. I've decided to use stainless steel for two reasons: 1.) it won't give off any odd features (smells, tastes, etc.), and 2.) it looks sexy. Throughout the review, I'll attempt multiple tastes and smells which I will denote with numerals.





    Aroma:
  • Unbrewed: Nicaragua: (1) Smells like coffee. (2) Strong. (3) Oily (in a good way). Mexico: (1) smells like someone sprinkled in chocolate cake crumbs. (2) A more subtle scent.


  • Brewed: Nicaragua: (1) smells like wet coffee. (2) Much more aromatic, more layers. Mexico: (1) Smells like wet Nicaragua. (2) Smells like cooling wet Nicaragua.


1st Taste: Piping hot


  • Nicaragua: (1) OH GOD I LOVE COFFEE! (2) Subtle, doesn't smack you in the face. You can't really taste the layers in the aroma, but you enjoy what you're tasting. (3) An underlying layer of cashews and Brazil nuts.

  • Mexico: (1) A soft, almost comical flavour. (2) Like it's just sliding down your throat with a smile. (3) Hint of cinnamon.


In the meantime, my girlfriend makes toast with avocado. It's making me hungry, and I tell her so.



She replies. "You're supposed to be focusing on the coffee, Jamie. There's no time for you and avocados." True. Very true. I try to think of other things to take my mind of the scent of melting avo wafting through the kitchen. I'd open a window, but it's deep into Autumn now and quite cool out.


Five minutes pass, and the coffee is still steaming, but noticeably less. I decide to take a second taste.



2nd Taste: Cooling, but not cold


  • Nicaragua: (1) Very slight bitterness--the kind you feel in the back of your teeth. Although not like the bitterness you get with Denny's coffee. Jesus Christ, I'd rather chew aspirin. (2) While the nutty notes have faded, other flavours have emerged: earth and peppered citrus. My girlfriend describes it as "smokey, like gumboot tea-infused coffee." Not an appetising image, but accurate... in a good way.

  • Mexico: (1) Can you use the word "fluffy" to describe coffee? You know that texture at the bottom of scones or sugar cookies? Kinda floury, but not unpleasant. (2) A gradual easing as it cools, yet it retains its light-hearted nature.


As I wait for the coffee to fully cool, I decide to make a crumpet. I'm too hungry to just sit here and look out the window. Plus, Ami is sitting across from me munching away. During my wait for said crumpet, I grab the camera and take a snap for the blog (which you can see directly above). The toaster dings after I snap. The crumpet is then given lashings of Nutella (note to self: must write about how Nutella is nectar of the gods). It tastes so good, I have to take a picture of it. Oh, man. I love Nutella on crumpets. It goes perfect with a cup of coffee . . . wait, why is this coffee cold? And why do I have two cups?


Oh shit. The review. I totally forgot.


3rd taste: Cold (and after rinsing the sweet, glorious taste of Nutella out of my mouth, which, believe me, was a very difficult thing to do)


  • Nicaragua: Aroma: (1) Smells like coal dust; like if I lit a match, it would singe my eyebrows--wholly unpleasant. Taste: (1) Surprisingly, the taste is hardly bitter at all. In fact, it's no more bitter than when it was Luke warm. (2) And the nuts are back! In fact, they must have left and brought some friends: almonds, pistachio--very complex taste. (3) Although drinking cold coffee (and I'm not talking about iced coffee) feels a bit odd, I wouldn't rush to refill this with anything warmer.

  • Mexico: Aroma: (1) Hey, this is pretty nice. Soothing, even. Like you have all your closest friends in the lounge, and you're all listening to music--why am i thinking of clarinets? (2) And the taste is just the same: even, not sharp at all. (3) Refreshing, even. (4) This would make the perfect iced coffee.

Final: Nicaragua - 3 Mexico - 3*

*winner on penalty kick




A very close call, but Mexico wins on evenness and the ability to elicit images of wind instruments.


Mistakes: I had a blue cup for Nicaragua, and a brown cup for Mexico. The first thing I did was pour Mexico into the blue cup. I think that fucked me up a bit at first, but I soon got used to it.


Album listened to while drinking coffee: Brains, by The Jimmy Cake

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't know, I think I prefer Nutella between a couple of Ritz crackers myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Okkervil River, Wellington, New Zealand :: Live Music Review

There are energetic drummers, and then there is Travis Nelson. Truly, he is 'Animal.' Okkervil River albums have so much personality, the songs themselves become characters: players, people in the guise of animals or gods (and who can tell the difference sometimes?). And like watching a melodrama, we are witness to emotions that heave and plummet with frightening force. The songs can be drunken youth: the rotund boots on their feet knocking wildly on every surface. Or they can be villainous and smart, full of smiles and wishing-you-well up to the second they thrust the dagger into your belly. Pitched, lust-crazed, calculated: that is one half of an Okkervil album. The other emotion is equally intense in its thick, slow agony: the eternity it takes to remove the knife, knowing you have it all to do over. And so it goes: soaring, drunk, angry, knife, stab, agony, pull-it-out-and-let's-do-it-again. At the San Fransisco Bathhouse in Wellington, New Zealand, on a crisp early a

Daft Punk :: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Somehow winter still has her claws in the Pacific Northwest. It's almost May, and we're forecast snow this coming weekend. Snow! (I'll spare you my usual tirade about what physically impossible acts may be performed on this particular part of the country, my own little corner of hell.) In any event, we were teased by 80 degrees over the past weekend, only to be thrust back into the 50s and below (with rain!) immediately after. Needless to say, it has not been happy times. I am on day three of a nonstop Neko Case marathon, and, while it is indeed comforting, Neko tends to be a little, dare we say, dark ? Sometimes you just need to take pause and make your own sunshine, or perhaps be steered to some on YouTube , as is certainly the case here. (Even though I firmly believe that YouTube is leading to the complete downfall of Western Civilization, and exposing the ugly underbelly of the American experience, I can sometimes forgive it. Times like this.) Back story? Dunno. Two fre

White Rabbits :: It's Frightening

Band :: White Rabbits Album :: It's Frightening Song :: They Done Wrong / We Done Wrong Sounds Like: The Midwest strikes back. RIYL: Spoon, The Walkmen, Tapes 'n Tapes A Few Words: White Rabbits (the band) is living in NYC, it's true. However, they are, by all accounts, from the Midwest. This is only a point worth mentioning because I am also from the Midwest, so we have a lot in common that way. Which is to say we have an inherent understanding of vast distances, wind, and non-existent public transport (unless you count Chicago). White Rabbits could also be that band you know you've heard of, but can't remember. For all their PR efforts it's amazing how easily they continue to slip under the proverbial radar (not sure if "radar" is an acronym when used in a cliche, but I'm guessing not). For example, they've been on NPR's "World Cafe" and on Letterman. Furthermore, they played Glastonbury in 2007 PLUS their new album, It'