Skip to main content

Black Keys :: Live in London [Live Music Review]


Nickerless, guest blogger and User Interface Designer extraordinaire, is based in London, England


I eventually didn't mind that my work bud admitted to "scraping the barrel" before asking me if I'd join him for a Black Keys gig. He had bought two tickets to go see them and had asked everything wearing a skirt and/or a bra, then all those in jockstraps before finally turning to the guy next to him - me - and saying, "I don't suppose you are free tonight?" Well I was... but blowed if I actually knew who The Black Keys were.

They were playing at the Carling Academy Brixton in South London, a venue I'd never been to before, but one which draws in a lot of great bands like the Killers, Primal Scream and The Raconteurs. Despite the reputation South London has, especially Brixton, I wasn't stabbed when i got out of the tube. This made me happy. The venue was awesome though. Like most London gig venues, it was an old stage theatre but this had a huge stalls area and a large balcony. It seemed almost twice the size of some of the other venues I'd been to, like Koko and Astoria (which is soon to be knocked down). The guys at the mixing desk had done themselves proud also as the quality of the sound in there was mint.

I hadn't heard The Black Keys before but after one song I was smitten. This is Blues-rock as it should be - not that I'd really known what it was supposed to be in the first place, mind you. I imagined it was probably what Jack White of White Stripes fame would want to sound like if only he had a decent drummer backing him up. But these guys had so much coming through in their music - a little bit of Hendrix in the riffs, the gravelly voice from ZZ Top, and a dash of Queens of the Stone Age. It was really impressive how much noise just two guys could make using a guitar and drums (but I guess the huge bank of speakers helped).

I was also impressed at how Patrick Carney, the drummer, was able to fit behind his kit considering how tall he was when he stood up (well, he looked tall next to Dan Auerbach).

I've spent a bit of today listening to some of their stuff off their MySpace page and it seems quite subdued compared to what I heard last night. These guys were having so much fun on stage. I highly recommend you check them out.

Photo courtesy of Culturebully

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very interesting blog, I shall look here. That there are many interesting ideas.
B96 Pepsi Summerbash Concerts
Anonymous said…
I saw the Black Keys in New York last year - Mcarren Pool. They were superb, and what a great venue.
Also Brixton Academy is probably my favourite venue in London.

Popular posts from this blog

Daft Punk :: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Somehow winter still has her claws in the Pacific Northwest. It's almost May, and we're forecast snow this coming weekend. Snow! (I'll spare you my usual tirade about what physically impossible acts may be performed on this particular part of the country, my own little corner of hell.) In any event, we were teased by 80 degrees over the past weekend, only to be thrust back into the 50s and below (with rain!) immediately after. Needless to say, it has not been happy times. I am on day three of a nonstop Neko Case marathon, and, while it is indeed comforting, Neko tends to be a little, dare we say, dark ? Sometimes you just need to take pause and make your own sunshine, or perhaps be steered to some on YouTube , as is certainly the case here. (Even though I firmly believe that YouTube is leading to the complete downfall of Western Civilization, and exposing the ugly underbelly of the American experience, I can sometimes forgive it. Times like this.) Back story? Dunno. Two fre...

Flight of the Conchords Are Tha Muthaflippin'

If you go to the official Flight of the Conchords website , you will see that it was about the time they started work on their HBO special that they stopped updating. However, you will also read that they don’t mind too much. In fact, they are very quick to point to other fan sites that are doing a much better job. This self deprecating humour is part of what makes the duo so endearing. For those who have not yet seen the programme, Bret McKenzie ( formerly of Wellington dub band The Black Seeds) plays the naïve Bret, who is a vertible emotional rollercoaster when compared to the dour-faced Jermaine (Jermaine Clement. See him in Eagle vs. Shark ). Together they look for gigs and . . . well that’s pretty much it: they look for gigs. But it’s enough. Just because the show’s premise isn’t robust, doesn’t mean the show falls flat. Hell, remember Seinfeld? That was a show supposedly about ‘nothing,’ and look how well it did. FOTC is at least about one thing, so it’s got that much more ...

The Racoon Wedding :: Gather Gather Bones/Rattle Rattle Truth

Download The Paper Boy from The Racoon Wedding's album, Gather Gather Bones/Rattle Rattle Truth Sounds Like : they're gonna rip your ribcage out and find your heart RIYL : White Rabbits, Portugal. The Man, Fanfarlo, Rolling Stones ala Beggar's Banquet From the Press Release : Forming from the ashes of Vermicious Knid, and authoring songs in the basement of the all ages not-for-profit art space they own in a nook of the city’s forgotten downtown, frontman Tim Ford and company boast a sense of loyalty to their community that few other bands share. On their debut LP, Gather Gather Bones/Rattle Rattle Truth , issued this October via their own Ford Plant Recordings Co., the band enlisted the help of engineer Leon Taheny (of the Final Fantasy recording credit) and hammered out a record that teems with the spirit of long-forgotten roots music. It’s indebted to the history of mighty back porch music: unbridled, unedited, beautifully intense.