Skip to main content

You are going to be okay because you are a good person

Jamie eating a cray

Please let this be the year Milla Jovovich returns my calls


Hi. Let me be the (insert number here) st/rd/th to wish you a lucky and prosperous 2008. As years go, 2008 is shaping up to be a fine one, indeed. While Dakin was freezing his nuts off in Kansas (chuckle, chuckle), I was driving around New Zealand's south island. There were naps on the beach, swims in glacier-fed lakes, lunches of fresh crays, and much much dancing. Did I mention it was hot? Oh, sorry, am I rubbing it in? :-)


And during my excursion south I thought long about bands, musicians, and the role of music in contemporary society. However, considering I was on drugs most of the time, I will spare you this lengthy diatribe. Instead, I'd like to introduce you to the first new Duck & Cover playlist for 2008.


Consider the playlist, if you will, to be like a yawn on the morning you knew, without doubt, that you were really going to get away with it after all. Because this year you are going to do very well. I promise. But if you don't, then you can't blame me. Besides, who listens to bloggers anyway? They're much too worried about their new year's resolutions.


Speaking of resolutions, D&C doesn't make them. However, I would like to make a retraction. In a previous post I was unfairly critical of reggae and dub music. This was mostly because I was very mad at someone who likes these styles of music, so (of course) suddenly I hated them. This was wrong, and I apologize. Although Marley is overplayed, and much reggae is derivative, some very polite kiwis were kind enough to introduce me Toots and the Maytals. It was so good I was ashamed of my earlier comments, and I told them, "why yes, I've always liked reggae." So although we don't do resolutions, I would like to make an attempt to be a little less of a music snob in 2008.



Good luck, reader.



Sincerely,

Some Guy From the Internet

Comments

Dakin said…
It's totes ok to hate new reggae, and to hate annoying white college students who like reggae, and, of COURSE Toots and the Maytals are brilliant! It's Toots and the Maytals!

(e.g. Amy Winehouse is not my favorite, but was inspired by Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings who are... brilliant.)

Also, if I may, nice save with the resolution to be less of a MUSIC snob, while still allowing room to engage in satisfying snobbery in furnishings, dress, and eats.

Lastly I'm afraid that I might have to beat you up and take your glasses. Fair warning.
Jamie said…
MayTALS. Damnit. Good spotting. And you will have to pry these sunnies from my cold, dead hands. ;-)
Tinbum said…
Oooo, I'm liking the mp3 player thingymajigwhosiwhatsit.

Popular posts from this blog

Okkervil River, Wellington, New Zealand :: Live Music Review

There are energetic drummers, and then there is Travis Nelson. Truly, he is 'Animal.' Okkervil River albums have so much personality, the songs themselves become characters: players, people in the guise of animals or gods (and who can tell the difference sometimes?). And like watching a melodrama, we are witness to emotions that heave and plummet with frightening force. The songs can be drunken youth: the rotund boots on their feet knocking wildly on every surface. Or they can be villainous and smart, full of smiles and wishing-you-well up to the second they thrust the dagger into your belly. Pitched, lust-crazed, calculated: that is one half of an Okkervil album. The other emotion is equally intense in its thick, slow agony: the eternity it takes to remove the knife, knowing you have it all to do over. And so it goes: soaring, drunk, angry, knife, stab, agony, pull-it-out-and-let's-do-it-again. At the San Fransisco Bathhouse in Wellington, New Zealand, on a crisp early a

Daft Punk :: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Somehow winter still has her claws in the Pacific Northwest. It's almost May, and we're forecast snow this coming weekend. Snow! (I'll spare you my usual tirade about what physically impossible acts may be performed on this particular part of the country, my own little corner of hell.) In any event, we were teased by 80 degrees over the past weekend, only to be thrust back into the 50s and below (with rain!) immediately after. Needless to say, it has not been happy times. I am on day three of a nonstop Neko Case marathon, and, while it is indeed comforting, Neko tends to be a little, dare we say, dark ? Sometimes you just need to take pause and make your own sunshine, or perhaps be steered to some on YouTube , as is certainly the case here. (Even though I firmly believe that YouTube is leading to the complete downfall of Western Civilization, and exposing the ugly underbelly of the American experience, I can sometimes forgive it. Times like this.) Back story? Dunno. Two fre

White Rabbits :: It's Frightening

Band :: White Rabbits Album :: It's Frightening Song :: They Done Wrong / We Done Wrong Sounds Like: The Midwest strikes back. RIYL: Spoon, The Walkmen, Tapes 'n Tapes A Few Words: White Rabbits (the band) is living in NYC, it's true. However, they are, by all accounts, from the Midwest. This is only a point worth mentioning because I am also from the Midwest, so we have a lot in common that way. Which is to say we have an inherent understanding of vast distances, wind, and non-existent public transport (unless you count Chicago). White Rabbits could also be that band you know you've heard of, but can't remember. For all their PR efforts it's amazing how easily they continue to slip under the proverbial radar (not sure if "radar" is an acronym when used in a cliche, but I'm guessing not). For example, they've been on NPR's "World Cafe" and on Letterman. Furthermore, they played Glastonbury in 2007 PLUS their new album, It'