Skip to main content

School of Seven Bells is Good for Parties [Not So Good for Children]


Parkcow, author and intellectual, puffs his cedar pipe on this calm mid-summer eve and musters his creative command of the English language to describe Psychedelic Electronica trio School of Seven Bells thusly: "they are pretty good."

When Jamie asked me to guest review the band School of Seven Bells, I must admit that I had rather mixed feelings. On the one hand, he threw out the qualifier “bit of an expert in the arena” in reference to the band’s electronica nature. It’s not often that I can claim to be a bit of an expert on anything (except Blue’s Clues, Yo Gabba Gabba, and, most depressing of all, the Teletubbies since I spend far too great a portion of my day watching these shows with my toddler), so I was naturally flattered and instantly turned on to the idea of doing something involving music that didn’t have an endlessly repeating, positive reinforcement message like “we’re really smart” (this coming after the solving of Blue’s Clues, which anyone familiar with the show will know—and I take great umbrage at songs like this because I know my toddler isn’t really smart, he’s got a stream of snot running straight from his nose into his mouth and he regularly hits himself on the head with whatever he picks up, neither of which I would actively recognize as signs of high intelligence. Admittedly, by saying WE’RE really smart, they leave a shadow of doubt about my toddler’s role in the whole venture, but his inclusion is still implied, and I find that strangely off-putting. But not NEARLY as off-putting as the way Dora and Diego and several other characters keep asking my kid questions and then responding to the answer before my kid even has a chance to gurgle on his own snot bubbles. That just seems rude to me. But I digress.) On the other hand, when I went to the band’s MySpace page, I was a little apprehensive about the task at hand. The name of the album the first song came from was called Suicide Squeeze (at least I THINK that’s what it’s from. It may have been Suicide Squeeze, the label. Who knows?). This name smacked a little too unpleasantly of emo or goth for my tastes. But I gave them a listen all the same because I am a swell guy, and I’m willing to give a band the benefit of the doubt. Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised by the music.

Amazon classifies them as “indie” and “psychedelic.” Obviously they’re indie. Duh. That classification is completely useless anymore. “Psychedelic,” however, was not one that I had heard before. First, I should qualify the classification Electronica by saying that I can’t really qualify it well at all. It’s a rather tough one to pin down, actually, because it’s umbrella is considerable. I recommend doing a little reading if you really want to understand it well. I, on the other hand, don’t have the time or interest to understand much of anything well these days. I’m happy to say that, all I know is I like it.

School of Seven Bells, in places, stands above the Electronica classification, and the vocals can often be described as “haunting” or “lilting” or “indecipherable” or “not really vocals but weird noises remixed into something sounding like words.” And that sort of stuff piques my musical interests. The term psychedelic, though, was a new one to me, so I was intrigued by the concept.

Sadly, my inherent laziness has forced me to NOT look up a good definition of “psychedelic” as it is used in musical reference. But if SoSB is an example of psychedelic electronica, then I might just be interested enough to try to find other forms of the genre. And, honestly, I couldn’t think of a word that better described what I heard on their MySpace page. Listening to their music was the aural equivalent of watching De-Lite’s “Groove Is in the Heart” video with the sound turned off. And, yes, I know, that reference is about as dated as it can be, but it’s all I can draw on because I haven’t watched a music video on purpose since some time in the early 90s when cable TV fist became an option to me and MTV was an entirely novel concept. School of Seven Bells' (the name is a reference to a pickpocket training academy, apparently, which I also find vaguely interesting in a nerdy, played-to-much-D&D-in-high-school-and-college-sort-of-way) music was swirly and colorful and every song they had on their page was unique and distinct. So, I think “psychedelic” is a pretty nice box to shove them in. Usually, I would try to play my musical procreation game (it’s like William Shatner and Terrence Trent D’Arby had a baby and Clint Black raised the baby—which would probably be a TERRIBLE band) to help describe what the music sounded like, but School doesn’t really fit any frame of reference that I have at my mental disposal right now. That alone probably says something about them.

My end critique of the band is this: they are pretty good. I’m not sure that I’d rush out to buy their CD because I tend to prefer music that I can sing to in the car, and I’m not sure I’d be able to figure out their lyrics well enough to muddle through them while driving. However, it would make some really great background music if I were the type of person to throw big, weird, artsy fartsy parties where everyone discusses post-modernism and eats brie and soy crackers while sipping Chateau Latour (with the intention of enjoying the wine and not getting smashed). Since I’m not that type of person, I can’t really think of a fitting use for the music. But I highly recommend it for anyone who DOES throw those types of parties (or who likes to think that they’re the type of person who would throw that type of party) or for anyone who likes to put music on in the car that will prompt occasional passengers into asking questions like “what the hell are you listening to?” All in all, I would give them three and a half De-Lites out of five.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okkervil River, Wellington, New Zealand :: Live Music Review

There are energetic drummers, and then there is Travis Nelson. Truly, he is 'Animal.' Okkervil River albums have so much personality, the songs themselves become characters: players, people in the guise of animals or gods (and who can tell the difference sometimes?). And like watching a melodrama, we are witness to emotions that heave and plummet with frightening force. The songs can be drunken youth: the rotund boots on their feet knocking wildly on every surface. Or they can be villainous and smart, full of smiles and wishing-you-well up to the second they thrust the dagger into your belly. Pitched, lust-crazed, calculated: that is one half of an Okkervil album. The other emotion is equally intense in its thick, slow agony: the eternity it takes to remove the knife, knowing you have it all to do over. And so it goes: soaring, drunk, angry, knife, stab, agony, pull-it-out-and-let's-do-it-again. At the San Fransisco Bathhouse in Wellington, New Zealand, on a crisp early a

Daft Punk :: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Somehow winter still has her claws in the Pacific Northwest. It's almost May, and we're forecast snow this coming weekend. Snow! (I'll spare you my usual tirade about what physically impossible acts may be performed on this particular part of the country, my own little corner of hell.) In any event, we were teased by 80 degrees over the past weekend, only to be thrust back into the 50s and below (with rain!) immediately after. Needless to say, it has not been happy times. I am on day three of a nonstop Neko Case marathon, and, while it is indeed comforting, Neko tends to be a little, dare we say, dark ? Sometimes you just need to take pause and make your own sunshine, or perhaps be steered to some on YouTube , as is certainly the case here. (Even though I firmly believe that YouTube is leading to the complete downfall of Western Civilization, and exposing the ugly underbelly of the American experience, I can sometimes forgive it. Times like this.) Back story? Dunno. Two fre

White Rabbits :: It's Frightening

Band :: White Rabbits Album :: It's Frightening Song :: They Done Wrong / We Done Wrong Sounds Like: The Midwest strikes back. RIYL: Spoon, The Walkmen, Tapes 'n Tapes A Few Words: White Rabbits (the band) is living in NYC, it's true. However, they are, by all accounts, from the Midwest. This is only a point worth mentioning because I am also from the Midwest, so we have a lot in common that way. Which is to say we have an inherent understanding of vast distances, wind, and non-existent public transport (unless you count Chicago). White Rabbits could also be that band you know you've heard of, but can't remember. For all their PR efforts it's amazing how easily they continue to slip under the proverbial radar (not sure if "radar" is an acronym when used in a cliche, but I'm guessing not). For example, they've been on NPR's "World Cafe" and on Letterman. Furthermore, they played Glastonbury in 2007 PLUS their new album, It'