Skip to main content

Le Husky :: Chanson Moderne pour Cyniques Romantiques


It takes very little for me to enjoy French-speaking musicians, hopeless Francophile and that I am. A few years ago my little sis burned me a couple Mara Tremblay discs. I played them so often I knew the words, even if I didn't know what they meant. I even made the mistake of playing them for a few French friends while I was living in Ireland. They rolled their eyes and began berating French Canadians (and here I thought they were all friends). So when I heard a track by Montreal's Le Husky on local BC radio, I e-rushed over to eMusic and downloaded Chanson Moderne pour Cyniques Romantiques. It's an album I will recommend, whether you are Francophile or non.

The album picks up and grabs you by the lobes from the second song, "Mourir comme un chien" (track one is just an intro). With the tempo initially set by the synth (Eric Shaw), the drums come stomping in and set a solid 4/4 beat that I guarantee will raise your pulse. It's one of those songs that made me slide back into the couch and say, "this is good. This is really good." In fact, I just gave it another spin.

However, an album is not the sum of its beats. A good album is balanced, robust, and perhaps even a little mysterious. Chanson Moderne is just such an album. Yannick Duguay's multifaceted vocals--feverishly desperate on one track, subdued and coy the next--compliments his supporting band instead of overshadowing it. A good thing, too, because it would be unfortunate to eclipse these musicians.

While a couple tracks seem to channel either Blonde Redhead or Kylie Minogue with their "la la la" refrains, the album as a whole succeeds. Tracks flow from one to the next, but branch into subtly different tempos and tones. The transition from "Dans l'bois" to "Lettre a Vanessa" is a perfect example. The former is a Cure-esque ballad of heartache, while the latter is a seedy-but-playful tune easily at home in a smoky basement club on Paris's Rue Oberkampf.

In fact, about the only negative thing I have to say about Le Husky concerns the design of their My Space page: transparent boxes with floral background is a bad idea if you want people to be able to read about you. I know David Carson said "don't mistake legibility for communication," but at the moment there is precious little of either. And while there are no blog entries yet, I'll be checking back to see what the band is up to. Maybe little sis will translate for me.

You can buy the album on eMusic, Amazon, iTunes, or you can be more indie than me and buy it from Zunior.com, a Canadian digital music store. Support your local. And check out more from Le Husky's label, Grosse Boite.

Band :: Le Husky

Album :: Chanson Moderne pour Cyniques Romantiques

Song :: Mourir comme un chien


Comments

melyyyyyyy said…
that's right!!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Racoon Wedding :: Gather Gather Bones/Rattle Rattle Truth

Download The Paper Boy from The Racoon Wedding's album, Gather Gather Bones/Rattle Rattle Truth Sounds Like : they're gonna rip your ribcage out and find your heart RIYL : White Rabbits, Portugal. The Man, Fanfarlo, Rolling Stones ala Beggar's Banquet From the Press Release : Forming from the ashes of Vermicious Knid, and authoring songs in the basement of the all ages not-for-profit art space they own in a nook of the city’s forgotten downtown, frontman Tim Ford and company boast a sense of loyalty to their community that few other bands share. On their debut LP, Gather Gather Bones/Rattle Rattle Truth , issued this October via their own Ford Plant Recordings Co., the band enlisted the help of engineer Leon Taheny (of the Final Fantasy recording credit) and hammered out a record that teems with the spirit of long-forgotten roots music. It’s indebted to the history of mighty back porch music: unbridled, unedited, beautifully intense.

Flight of the Conchords Are Tha Muthaflippin'

If you go to the official Flight of the Conchords website , you will see that it was about the time they started work on their HBO special that they stopped updating. However, you will also read that they don’t mind too much. In fact, they are very quick to point to other fan sites that are doing a much better job. This self deprecating humour is part of what makes the duo so endearing. For those who have not yet seen the programme, Bret McKenzie ( formerly of Wellington dub band The Black Seeds) plays the naïve Bret, who is a vertible emotional rollercoaster when compared to the dour-faced Jermaine (Jermaine Clement. See him in Eagle vs. Shark ). Together they look for gigs and . . . well that’s pretty much it: they look for gigs. But it’s enough. Just because the show’s premise isn’t robust, doesn’t mean the show falls flat. Hell, remember Seinfeld? That was a show supposedly about ‘nothing,’ and look how well it did. FOTC is at least about one thing, so it’s got that much more ...

Daft Punk :: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Somehow winter still has her claws in the Pacific Northwest. It's almost May, and we're forecast snow this coming weekend. Snow! (I'll spare you my usual tirade about what physically impossible acts may be performed on this particular part of the country, my own little corner of hell.) In any event, we were teased by 80 degrees over the past weekend, only to be thrust back into the 50s and below (with rain!) immediately after. Needless to say, it has not been happy times. I am on day three of a nonstop Neko Case marathon, and, while it is indeed comforting, Neko tends to be a little, dare we say, dark ? Sometimes you just need to take pause and make your own sunshine, or perhaps be steered to some on YouTube , as is certainly the case here. (Even though I firmly believe that YouTube is leading to the complete downfall of Western Civilization, and exposing the ugly underbelly of the American experience, I can sometimes forgive it. Times like this.) Back story? Dunno. Two fre...