Skip to main content

Drawings by Sarah Kernohan


I'm lucky to have some stunning pieces of art by Canadian artist Sarah Kernohan in my house. I say "lucky" because I have said pieces on loan from a friend who suddenly got the urge to travel the world. He asked me to look after three drawings on canvas, unframed, and I happily agreed. So when I heard through the e-grapevine that Ms. Kernohan is showing a piece of her collection in Connecticut, I felt compelled to share the news with the blogosphere, of which you are unwittingly a member.


The three works I get to enjoy every day depict close up cross sections of bone, overlayed with architectural sketches. Precise staircase angles try in futility to impose artificial order over the shaft of a femur, while seemingly ignorant to the smooth, natural slope that underpins it. Well, that's my take, anyway. Although she explains it with a bit more eloquence:


My drawings are a way of sharing the space that I see within these objects. The experience that I am aiming to build within these drawings is one where the viewer can see the space as a whole from a far distance, and is invited to explore upon a closer view. The viewer can follow the structure of the space by following the lines in the surface detail, using demarcation points as place-markers if they choose to. I am using drawing as a way to meditate upon the object and its structure, and in doing so, I am taking cues from the language of mapping as a means of learning and understanding a place.

Link to Kernohan's portfolio

Link to more about the Lineal Investigations exhibition

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Racoon Wedding :: Gather Gather Bones/Rattle Rattle Truth

Download The Paper Boy from The Racoon Wedding's album, Gather Gather Bones/Rattle Rattle Truth Sounds Like : they're gonna rip your ribcage out and find your heart RIYL : White Rabbits, Portugal. The Man, Fanfarlo, Rolling Stones ala Beggar's Banquet From the Press Release : Forming from the ashes of Vermicious Knid, and authoring songs in the basement of the all ages not-for-profit art space they own in a nook of the city’s forgotten downtown, frontman Tim Ford and company boast a sense of loyalty to their community that few other bands share. On their debut LP, Gather Gather Bones/Rattle Rattle Truth , issued this October via their own Ford Plant Recordings Co., the band enlisted the help of engineer Leon Taheny (of the Final Fantasy recording credit) and hammered out a record that teems with the spirit of long-forgotten roots music. It’s indebted to the history of mighty back porch music: unbridled, unedited, beautifully intense.

Flight of the Conchords Are Tha Muthaflippin'

If you go to the official Flight of the Conchords website , you will see that it was about the time they started work on their HBO special that they stopped updating. However, you will also read that they don’t mind too much. In fact, they are very quick to point to other fan sites that are doing a much better job. This self deprecating humour is part of what makes the duo so endearing. For those who have not yet seen the programme, Bret McKenzie ( formerly of Wellington dub band The Black Seeds) plays the naïve Bret, who is a vertible emotional rollercoaster when compared to the dour-faced Jermaine (Jermaine Clement. See him in Eagle vs. Shark ). Together they look for gigs and . . . well that’s pretty much it: they look for gigs. But it’s enough. Just because the show’s premise isn’t robust, doesn’t mean the show falls flat. Hell, remember Seinfeld? That was a show supposedly about ‘nothing,’ and look how well it did. FOTC is at least about one thing, so it’s got that much more ...

Daft Punk :: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Somehow winter still has her claws in the Pacific Northwest. It's almost May, and we're forecast snow this coming weekend. Snow! (I'll spare you my usual tirade about what physically impossible acts may be performed on this particular part of the country, my own little corner of hell.) In any event, we were teased by 80 degrees over the past weekend, only to be thrust back into the 50s and below (with rain!) immediately after. Needless to say, it has not been happy times. I am on day three of a nonstop Neko Case marathon, and, while it is indeed comforting, Neko tends to be a little, dare we say, dark ? Sometimes you just need to take pause and make your own sunshine, or perhaps be steered to some on YouTube , as is certainly the case here. (Even though I firmly believe that YouTube is leading to the complete downfall of Western Civilization, and exposing the ugly underbelly of the American experience, I can sometimes forgive it. Times like this.) Back story? Dunno. Two fre...